Erectile Dysfunction (Tri-Mix)
Erectile Dysfunction affects millions of men in the United States alone. It doesn’t focus on just one age group and can be caused by numerous health conditions, post prostate surgery, behavioral habits or environmental factors. Don’t feel overwhelmed by this, you are not alone. There are treatments that can successfully treat Erectile Dysfunction.
At Rye Beach Pharmacy’s Compounding Center we have specialized in preparing a penile injection called Tri-Mix for over 20 years.
For our Handout on How to Administer Tri-Mix or other Penile Injections Click Here
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Tri-Mix?
- Tri-mix is a combination penile injection which is composed of 3 main active ingredients: papaverine, phentolamine and alprostadil.
What Does Tri-Mix Do?
- This medication is used to treat certain causes of Erectile Dysfunction. It should begin to work within 5-20 minutes, and its effects should last about 1 hour.
Who Is A Good Candidate For Tri-Mix?
- men who have had:
- poor results, unwanted side effects with commercially available medications such as: viagra, cialis or levitra (pde5 inhibitors)
- are seeking a lower cost alternative to the commercially available drugs.
- are on nitrate therapy or certain beta blockers that inhibit them from taking oral medications; due to their contraindications.
- Follow the dosage regimen your doctor prescribed. Do not use higher doses than recommended.
- Wait a minimum of 24 hours between injections.
- Do not use more than 3 times per week.
- The color of Trimix is a clear to a slight yellow color. If the medication becomes cloudy, throw it away.
- If you experience an erection lasting more than 2 hours apply an ice pack. If your erection does not go away within the next hour, contact your physician or go to the emergency room immediately. If you experience lumps, swelling, tenderness, or curving of the erect penis, contact your physician.
Do Not Use This Medication If You Have:
- Hypersensitivity or allergy to any component of this formulation.
- Conditions predisposing you to priapism (a painful erection lasting 4 hours or more): sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia.
- Anatomical deformation of the penis or with penile implants.
- Been told by your physician that sexual activity is inadvisable or contraindicated.
Possible Side Effects:
- Penile pain
- Injection site Bruising
- Prolonged erection
- Store this medication in the refrigerator
- If you accidentally leave the vial out for more than 3 days, discard the vial.